This is a forum for topics studied during the Economics semester elective course. ENJOY!
Friday, April 13, 2012
Wal-Mart
It is excruciatingly difficult, in my opinion, for the North Shore community to grasp just how gruesome Wal-Mart has been to many communities in the United States, given that there isn't a Wal-Mart to be found in any immediate area nearby. The feeling must be much different for people that must resort to shopping there given that it is the cheapest (and sometimes only) option available for acquiring everyday necessities. Despite this, I still find it unbelievable that even communities that claim to have "banned" Wal-Mart still have trouble dealing with it. Even though Chicago was listed in the film as one of the cities to boycott Wal-Mart, I still know of a small Wal-Mart that operates just outside of the Metra Station in downtown Chicago. Though it doesn't function as one of the normal and much larger stores usually operates, the influence is still clear. Scenarios and stories such as those presented in the film only further confirm the idea that Wal-Mart has gotten out of control despite all of the seemingly successful boycotts. I am uncertain as to whether or not Wal-Mart can be controlled or limited at this point given its massive vicegrip on the United States, but at this point I can only hope consumers elect to shop elsewhere. The issue is I don't believe consumers will elect to do this, and that frightens me, despite the fact that I live in a community relatively untouched by Wal-Mart's poisonous grasp.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment