CNBC Top News and Analysis

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Maxed Out

As a person leaving home for college in the coming months, a lot of the elements in Maxed Out can be really terrifying for people. The thought of falling behind on bills thanks to financial decisions, the brutal consequences of these actions, and (arguably the most scary for my age group) the constant pressure from credit card companies that new college students face. Given the stories provided by the movie, while it may be unfathomable for me to imagine my spending getting out of control, it still sticks in the back of my mind that the victims of these credit card companies probably thought the same thing, and then wound up $12,000 in debt by their Sophomore years. I worry for all the kids I go to school with now, all the kids I will go to school with in the future, and even myself because of this. Maxed Out showed me in detailed fashion how bad the debt problem in America is, and I fear it may only get worse as time goes on. And now that I am on the verge of going to college, I have to say I'm sort of afraid of becoming part of the problem, not because I am afraid of winding up in bankruptcy-bound debt before I graduate college, but just because I want to be a smart spender and I worry that I can't be given the state of the US Economy and pressure from companies. So many people are already in debt, I just hope I won't be part of the problem. If nothing else, Maxed Out scared me straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment