CNBC Top News and Analysis

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Maxed Out

This is my second time watching maxed out.  At the beginning of the Economics course I was on Netflix and they suggested that I would like the movie.  I then proceeded to watch the movie.  I found the movie fascinating because for as long as I can remember my parents have told my sister and I never have more then one or two credit cards.  We would be in the GAP and they would offer my mom the opportunity to sign up for a GAP card and save x amount of money on that days purchase.  My mom always politely responded no thank you.  I never understood why she never wanted to save money.  When we would leave the store my mom would always tell my sister and I never to open credit cards.  It's dangerous to have more then two or three credit cards because it is more likely for you to spend money that you don't have.  You are charged for each credit card and it isn't necessary to have a credit care for each store.  The movie Maxed Out emphasizes the fact that credit cards are dangerous and that all credit card companies want to do is make money off of you not help make your life easier.  As a senior in high school, planning to go to college next year, I am prepared to be approached by various banks and stores asking if I want to sign up for a credit card, and I will do just as my mother has always done, politely decline.   While I have been very lucky to have had my parents stress the importance of staying away from credit cards, there are millions of people out there who lack a sense of knowledge regarding credit cards and the danger of paying on credit.  I love the movie Maxed Out because it shows the dangers of buying on credit and taking on more debt.  Maxed Out successfully spreads the message by personal stories and facts regarding the dangers of open credit cards, especially when you cannot afford to have one.  If you have a credit card and you cannot keep up with the costs, you are more likely to continue spending money on things you cannot afford.  Credit card companies love when people go over their limit and spend more then they actually have because they make money off of their mistakes.  I think everyone should have to watch Maxed Out, especially people going to college or leaving home for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment