This is a forum for topics studied during the Economics semester elective course. ENJOY!
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Taiwans health care system
Before the movie I never paid much attention to the health care system. After watching it I feel that the United States has to rethink their plans. I was really interested when the movie started talking about the way Taiwan's health care system works. They consulted people that knew about other countries health systems and examined them to avoid the same mistakes that other countries made with theirs. It makes sense to me. Why would you want to recreate the problems of another country so they can become yours? Taiwan has managed to create equal access for its people, eliminate waiting, and be able to have your choice of doctor. While they may be having to increase their GDP from 6.23% to 8% its sure a hell lot less than what the U.S is paying. So it may seem that the choice is between the people going into depth or the hospital, but I find that maybe it's not all one sided as it may seem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI found the video to be very interesting because it shared the various heath care systems around the world and what works and what does not. In the UK health care is payed for out of taxes. They are the worlds leader in medicare. However, the care costs the patients too little and doesn't even out. I believe that health care should come out of our taxes in the United States. In Japan, they have the best national health. In Japan they built a system which has resulted in the largest heath expectancy rate in the world as well as the longest infant mortality rate. In Japan everyone signs up for health insurance and there is no waiting time for care. However, 50% of the financial hospitals are in debt. I believe the United States should require all people to have health care, similar to Japan. In Germany the rich pay for the poor. Also, in Germany if you loose your job you can still maintain your heath insurance that comes from your job. I think this is a good policy because in the United States there are so little people with jobs and no heath care. However, when losing their job people will not have to risk losing their health care. However, the doctors in Germany cannot make a profit which can result in the doctors feeling undervalued. I was pleased to learn about Japan's system because they took the positive aspects from all the other country's health care systems. Their health care system also doesn't let the rich opt out. Lastly, Switzerland which no one can go bankrupt from medical bills. I love this portion of their health care system because it proves that people are not doomed if they become ill and can't afford their health care bills. It is not their fault they bills are so expensive and we should just focus on providing the care. However all the systems presented in the film impose limits. The video left us with the message that we must all understand that we cannot turn anyone away from heath care. Also, that the longer we leave the issue unattended the more expenses we will have to pay in the future.
ReplyDelete