But when I actually got here, so many imaginations are shattered. It is the richest country in the world, supposedly represents liberality and justice but when I watch the news, listen to lobbies makes their TV speeches, and read through the war logs, and talked to the friendly yet hopeless beggars in the streets of Chicago all I could think of is the anti-capitalism propaganda, the portraits of those fat business man sitting on the people of the world. With this much wealth, all of these suffering, can be eliminated. But capitalism clearly doesn't encourage that.
And the more I study U.S., the more cynical I become, and I got hands on Marx's work for the first time not because I need to take a test on it but because I want answers. What caught my attention was the European countries. They are actually look very close to the utopia so-called communists tried to built. And the more I found out about the history of communists and soviets the more I heard the voice of Marx saying: "Capitalism will be burred in the grave it diggers for itself." Since very young we are taught its a natural process, the jump from capitalism to socialism and finally to capitalism. When I look at those socialistic European countries I realize those are the oldest capitalistic countries in the world. Its their advance in productivity and wealth that grants people power to push society to the next level. Productivity decides society, with a mere socialistic revolution, but poor productivity, the country will slip back to capitalism as we see in China. Vice versa, U.S.A has more social benefits and projects compared to the "communist" China. It is a natural force, and I finally understand why Marx said he was not a Marxist when the term is used for the revolutionaries, because he believes in such natural transformation as the revolution. And such a true socialist revolution has not taken place in China yet, but it's going on in U.S. for it has a long history of capitalism.
What interested me the most is Chinese TV programs are not shy talking about U.S. comparing China and U.S., because yes U.S. is inhumane in a lot of the ways and the government might want people to feel that the strongest capitalistic country is inhumane so we should take the other path, but these TV shows have very seldom talk about Europe and its systems. That is understandable also because those are the true socialist. They are awe-inspiring when I first read stories about them after all these years stuck in China only imaging a democratic and socialistic utopia. This European inspiration sure will cause problems in China.
U.S. can be much much more. Its current status the existing system doesn't match it's title as being the richest country in the world. But I do believe such wealth and high productivity will lead to change. People will want more than just free business, free this and free that because that is just an jungle. We can be more humane than that. And U.S. will be, and hopefully China will be too.
No comments:
Post a Comment