This is a forum for topics studied during the Economics semester elective course. ENJOY!
Monday, March 19, 2012
Wal-Mart
Along with everyone else, I am not a fan of Wal-Mart. However, I think there are many questions that we can ask ourselves that will yield answers that might make us see the advantages that Wal-Mart has to offer. For example, I think it would be interesting to know how many of Wal-Mart employees were unemployed before the Wal-Mart came into their town? Wal-Mart does employ a ridiculous amount of people, and if they were to shut down, than the unemployment rates would be even more. Also, Wal-Mart does provide a cheap outlet for those who have tight incomes. Yes, the mom and pop businesses are being shut down by the big corporal tyrant, but these businesses on a national level do not employ many people and in most cases, Wal-Mart sells the same things as that mom and pop business, but for cheaper. Not to mention, I think the reality is that if we took any big-box retailer, such as Target or KMart, and did an intensive research investigation as was done with Wal-Mart, I think we would find similar horrors. Thankfully, there is not a Wal-Mart anywhere near where I live, so I do not have to make the decision about whether or not to shop there. However, if it was the only thing in the vicinity of where I lived, I can't say I wouldn't shop there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment