I think Supersize Me was a great video that showed what externalities really are. I do think that it would be hard for low-income workers to get a great healthy meal say from Whole Foods, but you do not need Whole foods to have a balanced diet. No one really knows the health facts that are associated with McDonald’s and other fast food chains and this is causing low income workers’ weights to increase. I think Spurlock’s video was a great idea because he first hand, showed his viewers what fast food restaurants actually do to your health and what externalities actually are.
This is a forum for topics studied during the Economics semester elective course. ENJOY!
Thursday, February 16, 2012
Externalities
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the post, Jeannie. Has the film made an impact on your consumption of fast food?
ReplyDeleteJeannie, like you, I think that Supersize Me is a great example of what externalities are behind different products. However, for some people, I think that it is hard to avoid these externalities. For example, if you have a lower income or have a sick child or have a stressful home environment or have some other issue that is more important in the present, then you are not going to focus as much on your future. Supersize Me is an important documentary because it has at least made people aware of what externalities there are behind fast foods, and now that people know what they can do, they can choose for themselves what they want to happen to them. This documentary shows that there are externalities to every product and it has made me more conscientious of the possibility before purchasing something.
ReplyDelete