CNBC Top News and Analysis

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Same Song and Dance

One thing I'd like to talk about with regards to this film is "Song." "Song" has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever encountered. The way that a company tried to create an advertising campaign, and instead created some kind of bizarre cultural movement that ended up not bringing in customers, but rather raising more questions. The fact that the campaign became so focused on an idea, a way of presenting "Song" so as to lose focus of the actual good itself, the airline. It is no surprise to me at all that Delta got rid of the "Song" division of their company; it became little more than a facade. Some of the people talking about advertising also talked about cults, and how what draws someone to a good is similar to what draws someone to join a cult. Song epitomizes that. People were drawn in by the attitude and the sense of community that Song provided.

The other thing I'd like to talk about is product placement, and how companies are moving away from traditional ads to webisodes, television, movies, etc. I personally hate blatant product placement. On the rare occasion that I do watch a music video it annoys me no end when there is an unnecessary lingering shot on a particular car, or drink, or pair of shoes, or pair of headphones. Yet, I didn't mind the usage of Starbucks in "I Am Sam." "I Am Sam" is easily one of my favorite movies, ever, and yet I am in no way annoyed by Starbucks' presence in the movie. It was not outrageous, it was not annoying, it was subtle, and, as the people in the movie said, Starbucks was kind of like a hero. Who hates heroes? Advertising doesn't have to be annoying, and outrageous, as with product placement and bad movies written around cars, they can be skillful in their utilization. They can work.

1 comment:

  1. Great comment, Sam. Perhaps there's a career in marketing in your future?

    ReplyDelete