I know we haven’t finished freakonomics yet, but I know what I want to talk about already… A few of you are aware of the Inquiry, Purpose, and Global Citizenship class available to seniors, and I am a member of that class (I swear this relates). The part of the movie I have found incredibly interesting thus far is when they talked about the declining crime rates due to the legalization of abortion in the late 70’s. One of the reasons I found this so interesting is that in the Inquiry, Purpose, and Global Citizenship class we are currently discussing the upcoming elections and politics in general, this has led to several discussions of a woman’s right to choose. There are candidates running for presidency who believe abortion should be illegal, I believe that a woman has the right to choose, and it’s great to see that there is data that exists to back this point of view. Also I now understand what Mr. Curren meant when he said these were adult concepts, and I am really enjoying the stories that this movie has thus far presented. The study about how your name relates to how your life will turn out was interesting, because they found that your culture/environment plays into your name more than anything and that is also an indicator of how your life could potentially turn out. Overall this is a very insightful film, and because of that I am excited to now read the book.
I'm glad that you enjoyed the film. If you would like, I can loan you my copy of the book. It covers many of the same topics but it obviously goes into more depth.
ReplyDelete