CNBC Top News and Analysis

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

name brands??


After watching the movie I thought about what my name means to others. To the people that know me personally or just happen to be an acquaintance. There’s the idea of living up to ones name but again I find that to be absurd. So many people with the same name and yet some will go further than others. I completely agree that success does not have to do with the name itself, but mainly with the area one grows up in, to a certain point. It was interesting to see how names do affect whether one will be hired or stereotyped. I understand that my name does sound Mexican. The Cervantes gives it away, but it does not define the work that I am capable of doing. It just happens to be part of my culture, such as African Americans and their unique sounding names. The idea of what names represent would be that they are like names of certain brands just like what the video talked about. It would be harder to sell one self if it does not appeal to the market!  

1 comment:

  1. Great comment! To me, our nation's cultural diversity is what makes us strong. As the demographics in this country change, prejudice against non-whites will become less and less significant.

    ReplyDelete